Here are some random shots of BUNKY with the mockup of a windshield. Not sure if I will do it or not, I think the scale is OK, The top edge is just above eye level, if I hook a small bimini to the top edge it would be great for those days when the sun is bearing down. I tried to take shots from various angles. It makes BUNKY into a whole 'nother boat. Had three people stop on the road to tell me they thought she was pretty... and she is!
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Sunday, October 9, 2011
Sorry, it is a bit fuzzy, we passed this boat yesterday and I almost turned around to ask him what it was. Definitely looks to be other than a production boat, cuddy top looks like maybe canvas? I have seen this design before but can't put a name to it.
Monday, September 26, 2011
Because she was gasping for air I realized that she needed more ventilation. Hopefully the new holes, two 2 inch in the back and four 2 1/2 inch (two on each side) will do the trick. I am opposed to any holes near the front of the cover as they might defeat the purpose of the splash well in the event of getting pooped by a following sea. Actually don't think there is much possibility of that happening. Onward and upward!! Excelsior ;)
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
At last we finished the 2 hour break in period and were able to give her full throttle (WOT). No idea how fast she went but SWMBO said, "Slow down!" I will try to post pictures of her at speed and take the GPS with us so we get some idea of how fast she goes. Very satisfied so far.
Sunday, September 18, 2011
I needed a flagpole to be at least three feet or more high to carry my all around light and have it be one meter higher than the red/green nav lights. While at the town dump I found the bottom half of a beach umbrella pole. It was nearly four feet long and made of mahogany. I took of the brass ferrul and it fit right into my flagpole holder with a bit of sanding. Then, since it was too big for my lathe, began to rotate it in my vise as I worked it into a taper with my block plane. Finally got it pretty good and then sanded until all plane marks were gone, tapered the top end to fit an all around that I had taken off another boat, ran a kerf through my table saw for the wires. cut a piece of mahogany for a filler, assembled the lot and now have a pretty classy pole/light combo that is sitting in the shop while a saturated coat of epoxy cures. Should look real pretty with a 20x30 American flag.
I will post a pic when all is together and on BUNKT.
We took BUNKY out for her first cruise after the launch and found that we had a problem. She would not run smoothly, kept getting rougher and rougher and then would stall out. Finally figured it out quite by accident. She was chocking on her own exhaust. The vent and three holes on the back of the motorwell cover were not enough. we adopted the two sneaker approach to the problem and she was fine after that. Put a full hour on the motor so we are halfway through the break in period. Yea! If only all problems were that easy to solve. Now to the catalogs to find some more vents for the sides of the cover.
On a lighter note I was abel to see the flow of water through the transom and was pleased to see that it was smooth and without turbulence. i am looking forward to being able to run at WOT to see how she performs with the stock prop. SWMBO, the original Bunky, really likes her. I was hoping we could sell FESTIVUS but she wants to keep both.