Sunday, September 18, 2011

BUNKY's Flagpole/Allaround Nav Light

I needed a flagpole to be at least three feet or more high to carry my all around light and have it be one meter higher than the red/green nav lights. While at the town dump I found the bottom half of a beach umbrella pole. It was nearly four feet long and made of mahogany. I took of the brass ferrul and it fit right into my flagpole holder with a bit of sanding. Then, since it was too big for my lathe, began to rotate it in my vise as I worked it into a taper with my block plane. Finally got it pretty good and then sanded until all plane marks were gone, tapered the top end to fit an all around that I had taken off another boat, ran a kerf through my table saw for the wires. cut a piece of mahogany for a filler, assembled the lot and now have a pretty classy pole/light combo that is sitting in the shop while a saturated coat of epoxy cures. Should look real pretty with a 20x30 American flag.
I will post a pic when all is together and on BUNKT.